- The executive branch of the government is housed in one of the city's most beautiful buildings. Built in 1650 it has a military-style facade with balconies and eleven windows lined in two rows, crowned by a clock with a bullet hole from a shot fired by Francisco "Pancho" Villa. Every September 15th the Governor's grito (shout) of independence from the main balcony commemorates Padre Miguel Hidalgo's 1810 abolishment of slavery which helped set off the War of Independence. Murals by José Clemente Orozco are in the stairwell off the main courtyard. The nation's first congress is housed here. Much of this building is open to the public.
- © wcities.com 2013
- tel: +52 (0)3 614 0123 (Information touristica)
- fax: +52 (0)3 614 4365 (Information touristica)
- Corona 31
- Guadalajara 44100
- No Sweat
- User Rating