Hawaiian Heiau and History
To beat the heat, start as early as you can and allow at least 5 hours to enjoy a leisurely pace. Wear sturdy shoes for the trails and be sure to take along lots of sunscreen, water, snorkeling equipment and beach gear to cool off in the ocean after a morning of historical sightseeing. From the Kona International Airport at Keahole, expect the drive to the Puukohola Heiau National Historic Site to take about an hour. The park opens at 7:30am and parking is...read more
1 hide detailThe Ruins of Pu'ukohola Heiau
At this site on the Big Island, the Ruins of Pu'ukohola Heiau ('Temple on the Hill of the Whale') are preserved and protected. Facilities within the park include a visitor center with exhibits on the site's cultural and historical significance. The park also offers waysides along the interpretive trail.
The park lies on the northwestern shore of the island of Hawaii in the district of South Kohala. The access road to the visitor center is located on 62-3601 Kawaihae Road, off Route 270, .25 mile north of Highway 19 intersection.
2 hide detailAncient worship spot
- Behind the King Kamehameha Hotel
- Big Island of Hawaii,HI96740
This ancient heiau is nearly indistinguishable from the other grass huts that were erected nearby for the King Kamehameha Hotel luau grounds. Exuding an aura of mystique and timelessness, it consists of a stone wall, some other stones and a few modest grass buildings. Although no one can enter this Hawaiian holy place, it is possible to go right up to the gates that protect it. Another good viewpoint is from across the Kailua Pier.
3 hide detailOne of three palaces
This is one of three palaces in the Hawaiian Islands. It is located in the heart of downtown Kailua-Kona, across from the state's oldest church. From the time of its construction in 1838 up until 1925, the structure was passed down among members of the Hawaiian royal family. It was primarily used as a vacation home, but was converted to a museum after the Territory of Hawaii purchased it in 1925. The palace is currently maintained by the Sisters of Hawaii.