The relatively small-scale (250 tons) submarine Vesikko was built in Turku in 1933 for the Germans, who used it for mostly experimental purposes. In 1936, the Germans sold it to the Finns, who based it in Suomenlinna's shipyard throughout most of World War II. During that war, the submarine successfully torpedoed (and sank) the much larger (4,100-ton) Russian ship Vyborg. The Paris Peace Treaty of 1947 forbade Finland to have submarines, so all except the Vesikko were scrapped. The Vesikko was opened as a museum in 1973.
- © Frommer's 2013
- tel: 09/181-46238
- Tykistölahti, Suomenlinna
- Mid-May to Aug daily 11am-6pm
- User Rating