- This church reflects the 15th century Church of Maria de Miracoli, a work of Pietro Lombard in Venice. The eminent architect, William Ward Watkin, designed Palmer Chapel in 1927 and collaborated in the design of the first building, Autry House, constructed in 1921. Also, Watkin led the construction of Rice University, which is across the street. Later additions to the cloisters and Parish Hall have enclosed the pleasantly arranged courtyard. In the 1980s, two more chapels were built, one of which is used for weekday services. Palmer Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Reverends James W. Nutter and Edward l. Stein act as the current rectors. There are two parking lots, one next to Autry House and one next to Palmer Chapel.
- © wcities.com 2013
Ask a local about Palmer Memorial Episcopal ChurchLocals have answered 16 questions about Houston.
Ask Houston Locals about Palmer Memorial Episcopal Church