- Onrust, Bidadari, Kelor and Cipir Islands represent one unity within VOC defensive system in order to maintain Batavia since the 17th Century up to the middle of 19th Century. Kepulauan Seribu was the main entrance to Batavia in 17th and 18th century. Onrust Island was developed by the Dutch as a shipyard in the year 1615. Onrust in Dutch means unrest or restless. It had been as a military base camp too invade Jayakarta in 1619. Kapten James T. Cook before the discovery of Australia Continent stopped over at Onrust in 1770 to have his ship repaired. The development by the Dutch also to other islands near by such as Bidadari, Kelor and Cipir Island. These islands invaded by the British in 1800, 1806, 1810 and after the war, were neglected for years. Learning from the past, the Dutch decided to establish navy military defense system. In 1849, on each island, the Dutch built controller towers equipped with cannons. Besides to function as defensive and watch towers also functioning as shelters. Since 1876 this tower had not been functioning either as controller tower or for their defensive system, but as the storage up to the 1908 where it had been neglected. In 1911, Pulau Onrust was functioning as jails and quarantine post for leprosy, also quarantine for pilgrimage. When the war between Dutch and Germany in 1939, this Onrust had been functioning as an exile for prisoners. Now, Pulau Onrust, Pulau Cipir, Pulau Kelor, Pulau Bidadari and Pulau Damar Besar (Edam), is declared as the archeological sanctuary. Nowadays, the controller tower or watched tower can be found on Bidadari, Cipir, Kelor Islands. At Cipir Island just the remaining of foundation and on Onrust Island had not been found its remains. But we can witness what the Dutch has left on that island. The fortress, jails and camps for the sicks with infectious diseases, old Dutch graveyards, all of them in very bad condition. It's a pity considering that these old buildings has a very high in historical values. In the golden year of Onrust the island once lived 1000 workers which most of them are slaves and Chinese. At Bidadari Island we can still witness the fortress during Dutch colonialism. It has Martello fortress half circle shape built by VOC in 1850. The fortress diameter more or less 23 meters and the wall thickness is around 2.60 meters. It's in bad condition and become ruins caused by war and the eruption of Krakatau in 1883. This fortress was looted and rob back in 1960.
- The description was provided by Franciscus Lim
Ask a local about Museum Taman Arkeologi Pulau OnrustLocals have answered 58 questions about Jakarta.
Ask Jakarta Locals about Museum Taman Arkeologi Pulau Onrust
- No Sweat
- User Rating