- The first chapel here commemorated the early Christian martyr, Menas of Egypt. It was dedicated by Lady Bassa of Rome, who came to the Holy Land in 444 A.D. with the empress Eudokia. The present structure was built by Armenian Christians between 1142 and 1165. In the courtyard, notice the elaborately carved crosses. Inside, don't miss the tortoiseshell and mother-of-pearl inlaid doors to the chapels of St James (brother of Jesus and first bishop of Jerusalem), and the throne of the Armenian Orthodox Patriarch. The mid-afternoon vesper service at 3pm is often accompanied by the world-famous Armenian Patriarchate Choir.
- © wcities.com 2013