This 1st-century tomb, discovered in 1867 by Dr. Conrad Schick, is very similar to the biblical description of the tomb of Jesus. In 1883, the very "Kiplingesque" General Gordon (later to die in the siege of Khartoum) visited the tomb on his way to Egypt, and in a fit of pique over the exclusion of Protestant services from the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, had a vision that this site outside the Damascus Gate was the real tomb of Jesus. The tomb was finally excavated in 1891, and whether it is the correct place or not, it certainly meets some of the specifications: close to the site of the crucifixion; outside the walls of the city; hewn from the rock; a tomb made for a rich man; and situated in a garden. As late as the early 20th century, the nearby hill that Gordon identified as Golgotha (Calvary), or according to the New Testament, "the Place of the Skull," was indeed eerily shaped like a skull, but construction and quarrying have obscured this impression.
To get here, head up Nablus Road (Derech Shechem), opposite Damascus Gate. Look for the side street named Conrad Schick Street on the right.
- © Frommer's 2013
- User Rating