Next to Linlithgow Palace stands the medieval kirk of St. Michael, site of worship for many a Scottish monarch after its consecration in 1242. The biggest pre-Reformation parish church in Scotland, it was mostly constructed in the 15th century. In St. Catherine's Aisle, just before the battle of Flodden, King James IV apparently saw an apparition warning him against fighting the English. Perhaps he should have listened. Despite being ravaged by the more zealous disciples of John Knox (who chided followers for their "excesses") and transformed into a stable by Cromwell's forces, this remains one of Scotland's best examples of a parish church. While providing a dramatic focal point on the landscape, the aluminum spears projecting from the tower were added in the 1960s.
- © Frommer's 2013
Ask a local about St. Michael's Parish Church
Ask Linlithgow Locals about St. Michael's Parish Church