- An outstanding example of early 20th-century industrial architecture, the Electricity Museum is a notable landmark on the banks of the River Tagus near Belém. The building was originally known as The Central Tejo, or Tagus power plant. For more than 30 years from 1918 it supplied the city and its environs before being downgraded to a sub-station. It finally closed in 1972. For years the structure lay dormant before the idea of turning it into a museum space gathered momentum in the early 1990s. Today its giant vintage boilers and generators positively glow under careful restoration and visitors are free to wander its colossal halls and galleries. Lately, the floorspace has been given over to exhibitions themed around energy sources and renewable energy. But it's not all about behemoth machinery and power trips. The museum regular hosts exhibitions of paintings and photography: the World Press Photo Exhibition is held here annually. © NileGuide2011
The Museu da Electricidade (Electricity Museum) is located in the leafy area of Belém, on the banks of the Tagus River. It is considered a fine example of Industrial archaeology and it started out life as a power station. It was transformed into a museum full of machinery, giving visitors an idea on how electricity was produced in the XIX century.
- © wcities.com 2013