This is one of the city's most beautiful buildings. It was constructed in 1766 for the first Earl Spencer, who intended it as a shrine to Georgiana Poyntz, his childhood sweetheart whom he had secretly married the year before. It hasn't been a private residence since 1927, and it had something of a checkered history until it was restored and opened as a museum in 1990. Rooms are filled with period furniture and art, some even loaned by the Queen herself. The most spectacular salon is the Palm Room, all in white, gold, and green. See the "West End Attractions" map.
- © Frommer's 2013
- Highly Recommended 2010