Known as the "the church of the press," thanks to its location at the end of Fleet Street, St. Bride's is a remarkable landmark. The current church is the eighth one that has stood here. After it was bombed in 1940, an archaeologist excavated the crypts and was able to confirm much of the site's legendary history: A Roman house was discovered, and it was established that in the 6th century, St. Brigit of Ireland founded the first Christian church that was built here. In addition, a crypt with evidence of six subsequent churches was discovered. Diarist Samuel Pepys was baptized here, and novelist Samuel Richardson and his family are buried here. After the Great Fire destroyed it, Christopher Wren rebuilt the church with a spire that's been described as a "madrigal in stone." The crypt was a burial chamber and charnel house for centuries; today it's a museum. Evensong is every Sunday at 6:30pm, and choral concerts are sometimes staged -- call for information or check the website below. See "'The City' Attractions" map.
- © Frommer's 2013
- Recommended 2010