- Started in 1931, the Clougherty Packing company adopted the Farmer John brand name in 1953. Several years later, in 1957, work began on the audacious and now historic mural project around their slaughterhouse and meat packing plant just south of downtown. The first painter was Leslie Allen Grimes, who worked on site for 11 years until falling to his death from the scaffolding. Arno Jordan took over maintaining and adding to the murals until 1998. The current painters are Philip Slagter, A.J. Slagter, and Eddi Milan (a.k.a. Ed1). Hormel acquired this slaughterhouse in 2004 for 186 million dollars. The Hormel company continues to both use the Farmer John brand name and maintain this historic public artwork.
- © NileGuide2013