- Commissioned by Francesco Sforza in 1456 as a hospital institution for the people of the city, the building has been attributed to the Florentine architect Antonio Averlino Filarete. The central nucleus and part of the central courtyard dates to the 15th century, while the rest of the building was completed successively, in the 17th and 18th centuries. It is an extraordinarily early example of the application of functional principles in hospital architecture, while also representing one of the most significant episodes in the art and culture of 15th century Lombardy. Today it is the seat of the Università degli Studi.
- © wcities.com 2013
Ask a local about Ospedale Maggiore di Milano PoliclinicoLocals have answered 39 questions about Milan.
Ask Milan Locals about Ospedale Maggiore di Milano Policlinico