Bonsecours Market, an imposing neoclassical building with a long facade, a colonnaded portico, and a silvery dome, was built in the mid-1800s -- the Doric columns of the portico were cast of iron in England -- and first used as the Parliament of United Canada and then as Montréal's City Hall. The architecture alone makes a brief visit worthwhile. For many years after 1878 it was the city's central market. Essentially abandoned for much of the 20th century, it was restored in 1964 to house city government offices and in 1992 became the information and exhibition center for the celebration of the city's 350th birthday. It continues to be used as an exhibition space and also houses three restaurants with terraces and over a dozen art galleries and high-end but affordable boutiques featuring Québécois products.
- © Frommer's 2013