- This pavilion was created by the architect Victor Baltard in the mid-19th Century. Emperor Napoleon III requested it for the first central food market of Paris (Les Halles). He designed buildings made of iron, cast iron and glass, which was very audacious and innovative at the time. The market was composed of ten pavilions which were built between 1852 and 1870. But in 1972, the market had to be enlarged and all the pavilions destroyed except one: number eight, the pavilion of eggs and poultry, which was then relocated to Nogent sur Marne (along with the original gates of the market) in order to preserve a testimonial of this exceptional metal architecture. Today, it is listed as Historical Monument and is used as a show and congress venue.
- © wcities.com 2013
Ask a local about Pavillon Baltard
Ask Montreuil-Sur-Mer Locals about Pavillon Baltard