- The Hauptpost (Main Post Office) was erected as the Törring Palace in 1747-58 by Johann Anton Gunetzrhainer. The north façade was added by Leo von Klenze in the mid-19th century and fits in with the style of Max-Joseph-Platz, the National Theatre and the south façade of the residence. The arcades portray a classical style, inspired by the Florentine Renaissance, as does the rest of Maximilianstraße, which heads westwards from the Maximilianeum (now the state parliament). The frescos (Die Rossebändiger) were designed by Johann Georg Hiltensperger. The building was destroyed in the Second World War but rebuilt shortly afterwards.
- © wcities.com 2013