- The first and last of Munich's city gates for Munich's second set of city walls, the Isartor, was built in 1337. Kaiser Ludwig IV the Bavarian had second city wall built to protect the expanding city and the wall remained until the late 1700's. All of the other city gates were eventually torn down or dramatically modified, but the Isartor remains quite close to its original look. It was restored between 1833 and 1835 by Friedrich von Gärtner. The murals were painted in 1835 and depict the victorious return of Ludwig IV the Bavarian to Munich after the battle of Ampfing in 1322. The Isartor is today used as part of the Valentin Museum as well as a cafe.
- © NileGuide2013