80331 Munich, Germany
Marienplatz has been the central sqaure of Munich since its founding by Henry the Lion in 1158. It was originally named Schrannenplatz and once held the salt and grain market, but it is now used by the city for various concerts and events, but mainly by tourists trying to get photos of the old and new town halls. After the market was moved around the corner starting in 1807, the square was renamed Marienplatz. The statue of Mary has stood in the center of Marienplatz since 1638 and is the reason of the new name of the square.