About New Haven
Downtown and Yale
The first thing most people associate with New Haven is Yale, one of the world's great universities. It has a strong presence in the city, and the city of New Haven grew up around the heart of the campus, which is a commanding display of classic colonial and modern Gothic architecture. Several world-renowned museums and theaters are located on or near campus, such as the Yale Center for British...
Interesting Facts About New Haven:
2. Sweet fact: The lollipop, named for a famous racehorse, gets down to business. The first lollipop-making machine created by George Davis starts operation.
3. Interesting fact: The first hamburger was made and served at Louis' Lunch Sandwich Shop in 1895. Still in operation today, you can experience "the greatest burger on the world" without condiments or not at all.
4. Smart gact: The nine-square plan was developed in 1638. Eight squares of 4 x 4 streets frame the 16 acre town green. The design is a National Historic Planning Landmark.
5. Alexander Graham Bell's first telephones were installed and the New Haven District Telephone Company's first list of subscribers – the first phone book- was printed. A New Haven telephone book believed to be the first one containing more than a single sheet of names sold at auction in 2008 for $170,000.
6. Once called Elm City, the Dutch Elm Disease wiped out most of the name sake trees in the mid 1900s.
7. 43rd President George W. Bush was born here in 1946.
8. Actor Paul Fusco (voice of Alf) and actresses Lauren D'Ambruoso (Six Feet Under) and Madeline Zima (The Hand that Rocks the Cradle) were all born in New Haven.
9. Charles Goodyear inventor of vulcanized rubber was born here.
10. Sweet fact: In 1974 the Vienna, Austria PEZ Candy company headquarters were moved to nearby Orange. The original peppermint PEZ was marketed as a smoking alternative.
11. Random fact: New Haven is the 6th largest municipality in New England, 2nd largest in Connecticut.
12. Weird fact: Pumpkin-heads originated here. Using cut pumpkins, hairdressers created uniformly-shaped haircutting guides.
More New Haven descriptions
Relatively little serious history has happened here, but there are a number of "firsts" that boosters love to trumpet. Yale awarded the first Doctor of Medicine degree in 1729 to a man who never practiced medicine. Noah Webster compiled his first dictionary here, Eli Whitney perfected his cotton gin, and a local man named Colt invented a revolver in 1836. The first telephone switchboard was made here, necessitated by...
More Top 10 Lists
- Boutique Hotels
- Cheap Accommodations
- Family Friendly Accommodations
- Brand Name Hotels
- Business Hotels
- Hotels Around New Haven
- Hotels Near East Haven
- Hotels Near East Rock Park
- Hotels Near Tweed-New Haven Airport
- Hotels Near West Haven
- Hotels Near Wooster Street
- Hotels Near Yale University
- Even more lists