154 West 57th Street
At Seventh Avenue
New York City, NY 10106
tel: +1 212 247 7800
fax: +1 212 903 0765
Box Office: M-Sa 11a-6p, Su noon-6p
Built by the steel magnate and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie in 1890, the hall is one of the most famous venues in the United States for classical music and popular music. The legendary building, renowned both for its beauty and its incredible acoustics, was designed by William Tuthill and constructed of brick and brownstone in an Italian Renaissance style. Until 1962, it was the official residence of the New York Philharmonic orchestra, but since then has had no resident company (the Philharmonic plays at Lincoln Center's Avery Fisher Hall). Visitors flock to the historic hall to hear the Berlin Philharmonic, the Vienna Philharmonic, and big bands from cities around the country and world. Carnegie Hall also hosts piano recitals, world music, choral evenings and even pop music and rock concerts. Among the legions of stars that have appeared throughout the hall's history are Tchaikovsky, Gustav Mahler, Isaac Stern, Itzhak Perlman, John Philip Sousa, Pablo Casals, Yo-Yo Ma, Maria Callas, Plácido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti, Liza Minnelli, Fats Waller, and Frank Sinatra.
After being saved from demolition in 1955, Carnegie Hall was made a historic landmark in 1964. In 1986, it was renovated extensively and reopened in its current elegant incarnation, with plush seats boasting excellent views of the stage throughout the house, a pristine gold and white lobby, and a swanky cocktail bar, the Travelers Café Carnegie, on the parquet level. Carnegie Hall contains three separate concert halls. The Main Hall, renamed for Isaac Stern in 1997, seats 2,804 people on five levels; Zankel Hall (originally the Recital Hall) and the Weill Hall Recital Hall (the Chamber Music Hall) are smaller venues. The building also contains the Carnegie Hall Archives, established in 1986, and the Rose Museum, which opened in 1991. Founded by the Susan and Elihu Rose Foundation, the Rose Museum chronicles the hall's and exhibits its archival treasures to the public. The permanent exhibit contains a chronology of events from 1891 to the present, a history of the building, and items relating to the many notable figures that have walked through the Hall's doors.