- In 1807, the city constructed this red circular castle offshore from Battery Park as a fortress designed to hold defense cannons. Workers gradually filled in the land, so it now appears as if it was always a part of Manhattan and the surrounding park. Later, it would serve as the immigration center for New York before Ellis Island took over that job. Today, it serves as a museum of New York City history.
- © wcities.com 2013