- The original church was built on the farm of Governor Peter Stuyvesant in 1660 and later destroyed. This replacement was erected in 1799 and is one of the oldest churches in the city. Subsequently, the attached steeple was added in 1828 and the cast-iron portico around 1858. Still an active parish, the elegant wood and stone building is also used as a cultural center and performance space that includes the New York Poetry Project, the Dan space Project and the Ontological Theatre - venue of the famous avant-garde writer/director, Richard Foreman.
- © wcities.com 2013
Ask a local about St. Mark's-in-the-Bowery ChurchLocals have answered 131 questions about New York City.
Ask New York City Locals about St. Mark's-in-the-Bowery Church