- The Niagara Escarpment presented quite an engineering challenge when the Erie Canal was constructed in 1825. A twin set of step locks was constructed so that boats could travel up and down the 59-foot escarpment. In fact, Lockport got its name from this impressive set of locks, which was referred to as the "flight of five". One set of the original locks was removed between 1908 and 1918 when the canal was modernized; this set remained as a landmark. A small museum, which focuses on canal construction history, is located next tot the flight of five. It is open daily 9a-5p May through October. - Christine A. Smyczynski
- © wcities.com 2013
Ask a local about Flight of FiveLocals have answered 10 questions about Niagara Falls (ON).
Ask Niagara Falls (ON) Locals about Flight of Five
- Richmond Avenue
- Erie Canal
- Niagara Falls, NY 14094
- User Rating