- In 1576 the Agustinian Monks arrived to Oaxaca and opened a school next to a church, and devoted themselves to teach and evangelized the indigenous of the region. In 1596 the school became the convent.
The facade of the church was made by Tomás de Siguenza, and it's considered the baroque jewel of Oaxaca, because of its magnificent images of San Nicolas, San Agustin, Saint Thomas and San Juan.
The main altar in the inside is also worth a visit. The wooden carved altar has images of the saints patrons of the order and is a perfect example of the local baroque work.
- © NileGuide2013
Ask a local about Templo de San Agustin
Ask Oaxaca City Locals about Templo de San Agustin
- Guerrero at Armenta & Lopez
- Oaxaca, Oaxaca
- No Sweat
- User Rating