- This is one of a number of grand and architecturally important buildings at the eastern end of Broad Street. The Clarendon was designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor (a pupil of Wren), and built in 1712 by the Oxford University Press for their printing works which had outgrown previous premises in the Sheldonian Theatre. Now it's part of the Bodleian Library, while the Press is in modern buildings a mile away. However, a felicitous reminder of its former activities is the 'Clarendon Press' imprint which can be found on all OUP books. Please note that this building is not open to the public.
- © wcities.com 2013