- Schools in this context means teaching rooms—the quad was built in 1613-24 to bring together the lecture rooms, which were, until then, dispersed throughout the city. Teaching was in Latin, and over the doors the early 17th-century curriculum has been written out—in Latin of course! The statue is of the Third Earl of Pembroke, Chancellor of the University when the quad was built and the man to whom Shakespeare dedicated his first folio. Schools Quad is now part of the Bodleian Library.
- © wcities.com 2013