- The weather vane on the roof of the grand, neo-Jacobean town hall is a reminder of the city's distant past, when it was called Oxenford. Opened by the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) in 1897, the building originally housed a library and law courts. When both eventually required larger premises, the Museum of Oxford moved into the space left vacant by the library and the law rooms became meeting rooms. Today, the town hall is used for local government meetings, and also as a conference venue.
- © wcities.com 2013