- The story of this park with flowerbeds, protective trees and white statues of artists started in 1769, the year the Duke of Chartres acquired a hectare of the Monceau plain (where the famous patriot Joan of Arc camped in 1429). A dozen hectares were added between 1773 and 1778; this ground was transformed into an English style garden and became the setting for many revolutionary festivals. In 1860 it was bequeathed to the city of Paris and was converted into a public park by the préfet Hausmann. It was opened a year later by the emperor Napoleon III. To the original pyramid he added a bridge, a cave and a waterfall. The statues date from the turn of the 20th century.
- © wcities.com 2013