- The Old Pine Street Presbyterian Church is the only remaining Colonial Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, and has an interesting history. Old Pine's first Pastor, George Duffield, served as chaplain to the First Continental Congress in 1774 and, with many of his parishioners, joined General Washington at Valley Forge in the winter of 1776-77. Old Pine soon became known as the "Church of the Patriots." Early members included John Adams and Dr. Benjamin Rush. William Hurry, who was the first to read the Declaration of Independence, is buried in the churchyard.
- © wcities.com 2013
Ask a local about Old Pine Street Presbyterian ChurchLocals have answered 19 questions about Philadelphia.
Ask Philadelphia Locals about Old Pine Street Presbyterian Church