- Type: Boutique ,Hip
NileGuide Expert tip:
Aside from its status as the only remaining historic hotel in downtown Phoenix, the Hotel San Carlos is also one of the most affordable lodging options around downtown.
- A little frayed around the edges, the Hotel San Carlos in downtown Phoenix nevertheless offers travelers a nostalgic and memorable stay in one of the oldest hotels in the Valley of the Sun. Built in 1928, the hotel architecture artfully blends Southwestern motifs with the Italian Renaissance Revival style and features 128 rooms and suites. The Hotel San Carlos is known to have played host to Hollywood legends, and like any good historic hotel, a cast of ghosts is said to haunt its stately hallways. If you are tolerant of aging building quirks such as smallish rooms and thin walls, you'll be rewarded with ample crown molding, vintage decor, and unique amenities, including a rooftop swimming pool (legend has it that Marilyn Monroe once took a late-night dip there).
- © NileGuide2013
User Reviews for Hotel San Carlos
Overall pleasant, but far from luxurious.
Most reviews I've read on here are spot on. The rooms are small and the showers get really hot without warning. With that aside, there were a lot of small charms about the place....
- posted on 11.23.12
- by leahmig4
Good hotel but needs updating…
A small old hotel right in the middle of downtown Phoenix. Location is great for downtown. Clean rooms but very dated. Our bathroom required a new suite and we had to wedge the shower...
- posted on 11.07.12
- by Peepies
Potential for more, but just good enough
Location, beds and linens are very good. Price and cleanliness were good too. I liked the pool area as well. However, the lounges were closed, the light rail makes a minor amount of...
- posted on 10.14.12
- by Scott S
- Budget Hotel 2007 – Audience Winner
- visit website
- tel: +1 602 253 4121 / +1 866 253 4121
- fax: +1 602 253 6668
- send email
- 202 North Central Ave
- (northwest corner of Central and Monroe)
- Phoenix, AZ 85004
- Y! Travel: Hotel San Carlos