Northern Nevada is undergoing major changes to keep up with the steady growth of both the population and new business coming into the Truckee Meadows. Once known only for the bawdy lifestyle of gambling, "quickie" divorces and instant marriages, the area is emerging as a well-known cultural center, as well as host to some of the "hottest" special events in the United States.
The Virginia Street corridor is the center of activity for not only gambling, but special events as well. The bright lights of the casinos and the famous Reno Arch declaring "The Biggest Little City In The World," greet visitors as they enter downtown.
The boisterous casinos have been the main attraction along...
Interesting Facts About Reno:
2. Interesting Fact: Reno is the main launching pad for Burners, or people on their way to and from Burning Man in the Black Rock Desert.
3. There are over 20 casinos in Reno and slot machines are available at the airport, convenience and grocery stores.
4. Nevada takes its name from a Spanish word meaning snow-clad. The correct way to say Nevada is Ne-va-duh ("a" as in cat).
5. Nevada is the largest gold-producing state in the nation. It is second in the world behind South Africa.
6. Random Fact: Nevada's Highway 50, known as the Loneliest Highway in America, received its name from "Life" magazine in 1986.
7. Famous residents of Reno include Judge Mills Lane, Sharon Stone, Dawn Wells of Gilligan's Island, Kristi Yamaguchi and Toni Tenille.
8. Weird Fact: Reno experiences thousands of earthquakes a year, most of them too weak for people to notice.
9. Fun Fact: The show Reno 911! takes place at the Reno Sheriff's Department (which does not exist) but is filmed in LA.
10. Nevada is called the Sagebrush State, Silver State and the Battle-Born State.
11. Interesting Fact: There are several legal brothels within a few miles of Reno, but prostitution within the city limits is illegal.
12. Marilyn Monroe's and Clark Gable's last completed film, the Misfits, was filmed in Reno.
More Reno descriptions
More Top 10 Lists
- Boutique Hotels
- Brand Name Hotels
- Cheap Accommodations
- Family Friendly Accommodations
- Business Hotels
- Trendy Hotels
- Hotels Around Reno
- Hotels Near Downtown
- Hotels Near Reno-Tahoe International Airport
- Hotels Near Sparks
- Hotels Near Sun Valley
- Hotels Near University of Nevada, Reno
- Hotels Near Victorian Square
- Even more lists