- The Capitoline Museums are housed in two palaces that face each other. The one on the left of Michelangelo's steps is the New Palace, which houses one of Europe's most important collections of sculpture. It was designed by Michelangelo and became the world's first public museum in 1734 by order of Pope Clement XII. The other palace, the 'Conservatori,' houses important paintings such as Caravaggio's "St John the Baptist" and works by Titian, Veronese, Rubens and Tintoretto. A sculpture of an enormous foot that was once part of a statue of Emperor Constantine stands in the courtyard. One of the most famous pieces is unquestionably the "She-wolf", a bronze Etruscan sculpture from the 5th century BC to which the twins Romulus and Remus were added by Antonio del Pollaiolo during the Renaissance. General admission is EUR6.20, free to Italian children under 18 and seniors over 65.
- © wcities.com 2013