- The construction of this large tomb was undertaken by Octavian in 29 BC. It was known as the Mausoleum right from the start and was built to glorify the name and memory of Octavian and to hold the remains of the Julio-Claudian dynasty (which included Nero and Julia, the daughter of Augustus). Excavations were begun in 1936 and were completed in 1938 when the monument was finally uncovered, albeit in very poor condition. It is circular and has lost all its decoration over time. The entrance was preceded by two obelisks (now in Piazza del Quirinale and Piazza Esquilino). The first to be buried in the tomb was Marcellus who was followed by Agrippa, Drusus the elder and younger, Livia, and Tiberius. Augustus was buried there in 14 AD and Caligula had his mother Agrippina and his brothers and sisters buried there too.
- © wcities.com 2013