- The church of San Gioacchino stands on one side of Piazza dei Quiriti - its refined and elegant exterior immediately attracts attention. It's impossible to miss the mosaics on the façade and dome, which are made from crystal stars. The dome is made entirely from aluminium and is crowned with eight angels with their wings spread at the edges. The church was designed and built by Lorenzo De Rossi and Raffaele Ingami and inaugurated in 1898, but the decorations were only completed in 1940 following financial help from 24 countries. Inside there are 14 chapels, each one named after the country that contributed to its decoration.
- © wcities.com 2013