- Piazza della Minerva is just off Via della Minerva behind the Pantheon. The name of the church, Santa Maria sopra Minerva, was given by the church's position as it is believed it was built over the Roman temple dedicated to Minerva Calcidica. Work began on the church in 1280 but the façade was only completed in 1453. In fact this was meant to be temporary but it has remained unaltered despite many plans up until the 19th century to modify it. The interior is the only example of Gothic architecture in Rome. The 3 naves are crowned by cross vaults resting on marble pillars, but the most arresting sight is the decoration which is a true work of art. The chapels are decorated with frescoes and mosaics by artists like Melozzo da Forlì, Andrea Bregno, Verrocchio, Giuliano da Maiano, and Filippo Lippi but just as worthy are the statue of Christ Risen (also known as Christ the Redeemer) by Michelangelo who depicted Christ with the symbols of his martyrdom embracing the Cross, the funerary monuments of Popes Leo X and Clement VII by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger behind the altar, and the Tomb of Cardinal Domenico Pimentel designed by Bernini. The funerary monument and sarcophagus of St. Catherine of Siena were restored for the Jubilee. On one side of the church can be seen the former convent which was once the offices of the Ministry of Education and now of the Ministry of Scientific and Technological Research. It also holds the Casanatense Library with texts from the history of the Church. In the centre of the square in front of the church stands a small Egyptian obelisk known as the Pulcin della Minerva.
- © wcities.com 2013