- Type: Landmarks
NileGuide Expert tip:
The Colosseo's hypogeum was recently opened for visitors who wanted a view from the ground up of the amphitheatre. As the tourist information if you can book a limited reservation.
- No visit to Rome is complete without having seen its magnificent Colosseum, a vast amphitheatre with seating for 55,000 that was designed as a horse racing circuit and arena for animal fighting and gladiatorial battles. Upon its completion, spectacular 100-day celebrations were organized as part of the opening ceremony in 72 AD. Its name is believed to come from Nero's enormous statue of Colossus that stood close by.
- © wcities.com 2013
- Very Highly Recommended 2009
- Very Highly Recommended 2010
- visit website
- tel: +39 6 700 4261 / +39 6 700 5469
- Piazza del Colosseo
- Piazzale del Colosseo, Via dei Fori Imperiali
- Rome 00184
San Giovanni/Termini/Colle Oppio/San Lorenzo
- Nov-Feb 15 daily 8:30am-4:30pm; Feb 16-Mar 15 daily 8:30am-5pm; Mar 16-Mar 27 daily 8:30am-5:30pm; Mar 28-Aug daily 8:30am-7:15pm; Sept daily 8:30am-7pm; Oct daily 8:30am-6pm. Guided tours in English with an archaeologist 7 times per day Mar 28-Oct 30 (9:30am, 10:15am, 11:15am, 12:30pm, 3pm, 4:15pm, and 5:15pm)
- No Sweat