- The lovely Villa Celimontana was originally a vineyard that was bought by the Mattei family to whom the new design of the gardens is owed. On the Celio hill, it has long attracted visitors with the beauty of the villa and the trees and ancient marbles in its gardens, including an obelisk from the times of Ramses II. It became the property of various foreigners until 1918 when it was confiscated by the Italian state. The last owner, Baron Riccardo Hoffmann, contributed to its expansion and added a small Neo-Gothic temple, which is now the home of the Italian Geographic Society. The villa is as beautiful as ever and a lovely spot to pass a few hours (or take in the talents of renowned musicians at the Jazz & Image festival).
- © wcities.com 2013