- Villa Doria Pamphili has its main entrance at San Pancrazio Gate though it has other entrances around its 9-kilometre perimeter. Besides being Rome's largest park, it is also one of the richest in terms of vegetation with tall trees and rare plants. There are also many animals: marsh turtles, moorhens, herons, swans, geese and fish in the pool. The park was laid out on the orders of Prince Camillo Pamphili, the nephew of Pope Innocent X, between 1644 and 1652. The villa was designed with sculptor and architect Alessandro Algardi, the creator of the fountains of the Lily and the Snail. Algardi is also attributed with the Casino di Allegrezza, one of the park's best features, although it is argued by some that he only contributed to the decoration. The last changes to the villa were made by Andrea Busirici Vici who was commissioned by Prince Filippo Andrea V Doria Pamphili. Currently the Casino and the secret garden are owned by the state while the rest of the park is owned by Rome Council and is open to the public.
- © wcities.com 2013