- Under the clock tower at on the west side of the Neue Residenz, now home of the Salzburg Museum, is Salzburg's own Glockenspiel, also known as a carillon. The name literally means 'Bell play,' and that's the best way to understand the cheerful notes that ring out of the tower daily at 7 and 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. The carillon's 35 bells were purchased by Prince-Archbishop Johann Ernst Graf Thun in 1695. Its range is over three octaves with all semitones. The drive mechanism and brass roll were made by Salzburg gunsmith Franz Sulter and bell caster Benedikt Eisenberger in 1702, and, with interruptions for restoration work, the glockenspiel's light-hearted music has been ringing out over Salzburg since 1704. It plays 51 different melodies, 16 of which are by Johann Michael Hayden. Nineteenth century adaptations of airs by Leopold Mozart, Amadeus Wolfgang's father, are also among its repertoire. From March to October, guided tours of the tower begin at 5:30 p.m. on Thursdays and 10:30 a.m. on Fridays. The meeting point is in the inner courtyard of the Neue Residenz.
- © NileGuide2013
Ask a local about Salzburg Glockenspiel (The)Locals have answered 2 questions about Salzburg.
Ask Salzburg Locals about Salzburg Glockenspiel (The)
- Recommended 2010