1032 South Alamo Street
East bank of the river, just south of downtown
San Antonio, TX 78210
fax: +1 210 227 8030
Located just south of the downtown area, the King William Historic District is a residential area that was settled by German immigrants in the 1860s and named for Kaiser Wilhelm, King of Prussia during the 1870s. Many of the immigrants were talented stonemasons, and their handiwork is still visible on many of the homes. The early residents of the houses were major players in San Antonio's business community, including lumberyard owners, architects, doctors and other professionals. Visitors flock to the area to admire the large, impressive houses and walk along the pecan- and cypress-shaded streets. The district has evolved into a hip and artsy area, boasting bed and breakfasts, art galleries and quaint cafes.