180km (112 miles) SE of La Paz; 33km (20 miles) NE of Cabo San Lucas; 1,760km (1,091 miles) SE of Tijuana
San José del Cabo, with its pastel cottages and flowering trees lining the narrow streets, retains the air of a provincial Mexican town. Originally founded in 1730 by Jesuit missionaries, it remains the seat of the Los Cabos government and the center of its business community. The main square, adorned with a wrought-iron bandstand and shaded benches, faces the cathedral, which was built on the site of an early mission.
San José is becoming increasingly sophisticated, with a collection of noteworthy cafes, art galleries, and intriguing small inns adding a newly refined flavor to the central downtown area. This is the best choice for those who want to enjoy the paradoxical landscape but still be aware that they're in Mexico.