- The Louella Guard Station, located 5 miles south of Sequim Bay State Park, was built in 1912 by Forest Service employee E. M. Cheney. Cheney dedicated the structure to his wife, Louella. The guard station had a wood cooking stove and water from a spring located several hundred feet north of the cabin. A fire guard was stationed here during the summer and fall, and the buildings were closed down during the winter.
During the Great Depression, a Civilian Conservation Corps Camp was built in the lower part of the meadow. This compound consisted of barracks, wash, bathhouse, mess, and cookhouse. The CCC's worked on many projects such as building fire lookouts, trails, bridges, roads, and replanting after fires. After the CCC camp closed in 1939, it was used by other agencies such as the U.S. Army, and the Edmonds School District. It has been idle since 1976 and currently reopened in May of 1999 for use under the cabin rental program.
The cabin has a per night fee of $40 and a maximum occupancy of 6 people. There is a living room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, shower, and flush toilet. Water, electricity, propane heat, cook stove, and refrigerator are all provided. There is a double bed, a twin bunked, and a futon couch. Pots, pans, and cutlery are provided.
- tel: 509-682-2576
- fax: 509-682-9004
- No Sweat
- User Rating