- 750 feet above the sea stands this massive fortress designed by British military engineers. Construction began in 1690 by Africans who were brought over as slaves. It consists of a huge retaining wall, barracks, cisterns, magazines and other structures perched upon the steep slopes of a rugged volcanic cone. The British maintained the fort until 1782 when the fort was captured by French troops; the fort was returned to the British in 1783. Today, it is known as the "Gibraltar of the West Indies." There are many exhibits to see, museum displays and an audio-visual presentation on the history of the fort. A canteen, gift shop, and visitor's centre are also on the property. The views are spectacular and the neighbouring islands of Saba, St. Eustatius and St. Barts are all visible. The fortress was recently named as a World Heritage Site.
- © wcities.com 2013
Ask a local about Brimstone Hill FortressThere are 4 questions about St. Kitts.
Ask St. Kitts Locals about Brimstone Hill Fortress