This 217m (712-ft.) tower, capped with a red-and-white transmitter, soars above a forested hillock south of Stuttgart. It was designed and built in 1956 using radically innovative applications of aluminum and prestressed reinforced concrete, and served as a prototype for larger towers in Toronto and Moscow. A restaurant is at the tower's base, and a cafe, bar, restaurant, observation platform, and information about the tower's construction are at the top of a 150m (492-ft.) elevator. Food is served daily 10am to 8pm. Look outside for the mobile platforms used by window washers.
- © Frommer's 2013