- First surveyed in 1818, the village is located some distance away from the Lake itself. Originally known as Tarago, it was renamed after the lake in 1884. The tiny but exquisite village, set amongst shady trees and gardens, is centred on the railway. There is a scattering of historic buildings including an 1830s slab hut, now a curio shop, and St John's Anglican Church and cemetery. The 1881 schoolhouse has been converted into a gallery and the village also offers attractive tearooms. Lake Bathurst Function Centre caters for groups and is surrounded by fragrant lavender gardens.
- © wcities.com 2013