- Located in the centre of Toronto's first non-sectarian cemetery, this chapel stands out magically. The cemetery, whose name translates into City of the Dead, dates back to the early 1850s and is the resting place of William Lyon Mackenzie, Toronto's first mayor, and George Brown, one of the fathers of Confederation. The mortuary chapel itself was built in 1872 and has been preserved magnificently. The building, with its patterned slate roof, ironwork and tracery, is a fine example of High Victorian Gothic architecture.
- © wcities.com 2013