Describing Turin is no easy task; the city is known for its cold weather, grey cityscape, and large industries. On the other hand, it is also an interesting and multifaceted city, rich in history. Formerly the capital of Italy, and linked to the Savoy tradition, it is a city of charm, brimming with historic monuments and bearing the entrepreneurial spirit of a city in continual economic growth. It is also a very ordered city, built to an urban plan with linear streets from the Roman period. Above all, Turin is an elegant city that does not flaunt its regal past, traces of which can be found in its artistic and historic heritage.
The physical, historic, and cultural centre is the...
Interesting Facts About Turin:
2. Interesting fact: Turin was the first capital of the Kingdom of Italy from 1861 to 1864
3. Religious fact: The Holy Shroud is located in Turin's Duomo just off Piazza Castello
4. Random fact: Turin's iconic building, the Mole Antonelliana was once the highest brick building bulding in the world
5. Chocolate fact: The ChocoPass is your ticket to 10 tastings of chocolate, from Gianuiotti to pralines, from cakes to biscuits and hot chocolate in Turin's historic cafe's and pastry shops
6. Fun fact: Step with your heel on the bronze bull's balls set in the pavement outside Caffe Torino in Piazza San Carlo, it's supposed to bring you luck!
7. Sports fact: In 2006 the eyes of the world were on Turin for the 20th Winter Olympic Games
8. Weird fact: Turin's Egyptian Museum has the second most important collection of Egyptian antiquities outside Cairo
9. 2011 fact: This year the city will host major celebrations for the 150th anniversary of Italian Unification
10. Food fact: The "Slow Food" movement was started in Bra, near Turin
11. Bread fact: Turin is home to grissini, those famous breadsticks now served in virtually every restaurant in Italy
12. Drink fact: Vermouth was invented in Turin in 1786 by Benedetto Carpano who created this aperitif created by the expert blending of wine with thirteen different ingredients
More Turin descriptions
After Napoleon's occupation, the city's intellectuals began...
More Top 10 Lists
- Boutique Hotels
- Cheap Accommodations
- Hotels Near Giardino Reale
- Family Friendly Accommodations
- Luxury Hotels
- Apartments and Condos
- Brand Name Hotels
- Business Hotels
- Trendy Hotels
- Hotels Near Duomo di San Giovanni
- Hotels Near Mole Antonelliana
- Hotels Near Moncalieri
- Vacation Homes