- The only building on the San Giorgio Maggiore island, this church was built in 1566 AD. It is built inside a Benedictine monastery (that was erected in 1000 AD) in accordance with a plan by Andrea Palladio. The bright interior is covered with paintings by Carpaccio and Tintoretto, such as 'L'ultima Cena' and the 'Raccolta della Manna'. From the bell tower, there is a magnificent view of San Marco.
- © wcities.com 2013
Ask a local about Chiesa di S. Giorgio MaggioreLocals have answered 75 questions about Venice.
Ask Venice Locals about Chiesa di S. Giorgio Maggiore