Generally referred to as "La Salute," this crown jewel of 17th-century baroque architecture proudly reigns at a commercially and aesthetically important point, almost directly across from the Piazza San Marco, where the Grand Canal empties into the lagoon.
The first stone was laid in 1631 after the Senate decided to honor the Virgin Mary of Good Health for delivering Venice from a plague. They accepted the revolutionary plans of a young, relatively unknown architect, Baldassare Longhena (who would go on to design, among other projects, the Ca' Rezzonico). He dedicated the next 50 years of his life to overseeing its progress (he would die 1 year after its inauguration but 5 years before its completion).
The only great baroque monument built in Italy outside Rome, the octagonal Salute is recognized for its exuberant exterior of volutes, scrolls, and more than 125 statues and rather sober interior, though one highlighted by a small gallery of important works in the sacristy. (You have to pay to enter the sacristy; the entrance is through a small door to the left of the main altar.) A number of ceiling paintings and portraits of the Evangelists and church doctors are all by Titian. On the right wall is Tintoretto's Marriage at Cana, often considered one of his best.
- © Frommer's 2013
Ask a local about Santa Maria della Salute (Church of the Virgin Mary of Good Health)Locals have answered 76 questions about Venice.
Ask Venice Locals about Santa Maria della Salute (Church of the Virgin Mary of Good Health)
- Recommended 2010
- tel: 041-522-5558
- Dorsoduro (on Campo della Salute)
- Daily 9am-noon and 3-5:30pm
- User Rating