This hotel was built in 1873, at about the same time as the Franz-Josefs Bahnhof, which lies a short walk away and whose passengers it was designed to house. Its wedge-shape position on the acute angle of a busy street corner is similar to that of the Flatiron Building in Manhattan. Most of the old details have been stripped from the public rooms, leaving a clean series of lines and a handful of antiques. Some 100 guest rooms are in a wing added in 1982. All rooms are functional and well maintained, and contain comfortable low beds and utilitarian desks and chairs.
- © Frommer's 2013